Quote of the day

Actually, this is a quote from 3 days ago but I hadn't gotten around to posting it.
You think commas are sort of like parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on your words

- Paul Budra, English professor at Simon Fraser University

This remark was a response to the sentiment that kids these days have poor written communication skills. See the whole article here: http://news.therecord.com/article/665810

I'd have to agree that it seems that kids are getting dumber every year. I suppose this means I've become an old man.

1 comments:

Michael J. Swart said...

I failed that exam in 1992. I got 55 percent (60 was a pass). I did it without the help of the internet too! To this day I'm not quite sure why. You don't get your exam back, just the mark. I don't think my writing wasn't terrible. I mean always thought I failed due to rambling rather than spelling or grammar.

Instead of re-writing the exam, I chose to take an English course - Introduction to Essay Writing - and got an A. The biggest thing I learned in that class was have a point and don't write anything that doesn't help make your point.