In 400 metres, keep going straight...

So said my helpful GPS system to me on the way home this evening. I still can't figure out whether that is supposed to be helpful, reassuring, or impertinent. In any case, I'm going to assume that motto for my integration trip: "keep going... and when you get there, keep going some more".

But this isn't the story about my work... it's the story about a little boy from a small country called Canada, who struggled against all odds to get a blog so that he could tell his story.

Where did we leave off? Ah yes, lost and bewildered in Heidelberg. So I plugged "Heidelberg schloß" into my trusted electronic companion and put my fate into her cold, digital hands (and pretentious British accent... no way I'll be ordering the Globe & Mail from her!).

After the seven or eight prerequisite wrong turns ("Oh, did I say turn right? I meant left. Please make a U-turn when it is legal to do so.") I found myself winding up the switch-back road to the castle. I got stuck for several minutes behind a large tourist bus attempting to do the same thing; after a failed attempt at a 19-point turn at the elbow, it decided that perhaps the tourists didn't want to see the castle that day and that the candy store was open. You like candy, don't you?

Somehow, some way, I took a wrong turn. I don't know how this is possible, but I did it. I parked (probably illegally), took some photos of the vista, and made my way back down so that I could head - defeated - to Karlsruhe.

But, is that what happened? Stay tuned until next time George has enough time and energy to make up tell his stories.

4 comments:

Richard Siemens said...

Photos! We need photos!

Good to hear you are alive and well...

Anonymous said...

My memories of Heidelberg are of a small town where you could walk to the casle in high heels. Well, the European ladies did, the Northamericans all wore running shoes .

But we also did our share of driving around, looking for the Big I.

And I'm hoping that you are pulling our legs, and we'll get to see the breathtaking shot from the castle, overlooking Heidelberg.

Carolyn said...

I second the comment for pictures. (now you have to post some)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.